I have been very satisfied with the hosting service of POWWEB which I have used for these websites for the past 13 years so I recommend it.
In the spring I purchased one cranberry plant from a local nursery and kept it in the greenhouse over the summer.
It sprouted runners which I embedded in soil in smaller pots around the mother plant. I ended up with 13 pots with multiple new plants per pot.
By the end of September, the mother plant had produced 3 berries and many extra plants.
I dug a small depression above my pond waterfalls, and lined it with old underlay and liner from the previous spillway of the pond.
I made the floor level by flooding it with water and then cutting down the high spots underneath.
The tractor bucket filled the depression with fertile soil and peat moss.
The finished bog planted for next year’s cranberry crop. (Theoretically!) An embedded 5cm drain pipe which will allow overflow to the pond will prevent the soil eroding from the structure.
So I finally finished the reworking of the pond fountain. Its now a cataract with a small bog added as well for growing cranberries. ( see next post)
I was never happy with the fountain I had constructed originally when I built the pond. It was more or less a temporary solution. So last week I decided to redo it.
The spillway outlet for the pond originally ran out the south end of the pond and this work is on the North end. Now it remains to remove the rocks from the old spillway, install a 4 inch underground drain, and backfill the trench and lower pumping pond.
Dragonfly nymphs in their last instar crawl up the stems of pond plants where the adult emerges . I see many exoskeletons still clinging to the stems:
INSTAR: An instar ( i/ˈɪnstɑr/, from the Latin “form”, “likeness”) is a developmental stage of arthropods, such as insects, between each moult (ecdysis), until sexual maturity is reached. Arthropods must shed the exoskeleton in order to grow or assume a new form. ( Wikipedia)
A neighbour told me that Astilbe were good pond plants, so I have tried several. I think they need to be kept on the margins and well fertilized.
Genus: Astilbe spp.
Actually called Giant Dwarf papyrus, this plant is hardy only in zones 9-11 so I move it into the greenhouse in the winter.
In August the bloom of Azolla has started to increase. I added Azolla to the pond several years ago and have in the past had to skim it off as it covers the complete surface in late summer. It does provide good compost material with high Carbon and Nitrogen content. It normally cannot live in Northern climates but somehow has survived well here in the pond.
A good reference can be found at the Azolla Foundation
The Azolla Foundation was set up by Azolla Biosystems Ltd founders Alexandra and Jonathan Bujak to provide a platform for sharing information about Azolla and its contribution to new technologies such as space exploration and planetary colonization.”
Also, the Nitrogen Fixation is the result of a sysmbiotic relationship between azolla and a cyanobacteria. This reference shows the formula for the process:
I have only seen this one female specimen in the pond, and it was clinging to a pondweed leaf, almost submerged in the water, and didn’t object to being placed on the lilypad.
Species: A. junius
Last fall I got this small plant with floating leaves and small yellow flowers. It spreads asexually with stolons near the water surface. It also was winter hardy Zone 8-10 as it overwintered in the pond. This one was supplied to a plant store by a local company here in Victoria, Applied Aquatics.